Toys and games that develop girls interest in STEM from a young age are the perfect way to encourage planning, critical thinking, and problem solving. By providing girls with opportunities to play with STEM toys, we open up the possibilities of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math from a young age.
We reviewed dozens of STEM toys and games for girls, to identify the best of the best. We looked at features such as ease of use, progressive levels of difficulty, and clear instructions for parents or guardians.
Our top pick, the Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit stood out as a clear winner. The combination of 11 different engaging science experiments, combined with detailed explanations to help your daughter, niece, or family friend to understand the science behind the reactions, means this science kit is the perfect STEM toy for any household.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated STEM Toys & Games For Girls
|Best Overall||Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit||4.5|
|Runner Up||Think Fun Gravity Maze Marble Run Logic Game||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||Klutz LEGO Chain Reactions Craft Kit||4.1|
|Best STEM Toy for Girls Aged 5 - 7||Learning Resources Botley The Coding Robot||4.6|
|Best STEM Toy for Girls Aged 8 - 13||Think Fun Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game||4.8|
*Ratings are taken from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit
If you’re looking for the best toy to encourage girls into exploring STEM topics in a fun and accessible way, then the Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit is our top pick. This 20 piece kit offers amazing value for money whilst also providing an impressive 11 different activities.
This kit teaches girls the basics of science in a fun and engaging way. It allows them to carry out exciting experiments including making a color-changing volcano, a sunset within a test tube, and growing beautiful crystals. All experiments are designed to be carried out under adult supervision, but girls of 6 and up should be capable of completing at least some of these with a minimum of help.
As well as providing detailed step-by-step instructions for each experiment, the kit provides detailed activity guides for adults. This gives them ‘mind blowing science secrets’ which help to provide scientific explanations for the results of each experiment. That way, even if you don’t feel confident in your scientific knowledge, you can be sure of providing an accurate answer, and maybe learn something along the way as well!
Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit Key Features:
- Includes almost everything needed for use, you only need to provide a few items such as water, measuring spoons, grape juice, and pens
- Recommended for children aged 6 years and up, with adult supervision
- Creates your very own science lab, at home
- Allows girls to explore and experiment with science
Our Runner Up Pick: The Think Fun Gravity Maze Marble Run Logic Game
The Think Fun Gravity Maze Marble Run Logic Game encourages critical thinking in a fun way. It includes 60 challenges ranging from beginner to expert, with the aim of creating a path that will safely carry the marble to the Target Tower. Once a challenge is selected, the card shows how to set up the towers on the game grid. Then the towers have to be positioned correctly to allow the marble into the Target Tower.
The Think Fun Gravity Maze is the winner of a range of awards, including the Toy of the Year, and Parent’s Choice Gold Award. This toy encourages the development of visual perception skills, reasoning, and critical skills.
If you’re looking for a toy which will provide a great opportunity for “stealth learning” – providing STEM skills without your daughter even realizing, then this is a great choice. Over 1,000 reviews on Amazon, overwhelmingly positive, helped this game secure our Runner Up position.
Think Fun Gravity Maze Marble Run Logic Game Key Features:
- Suitable for ages 8 plus
- Includes game grid, 9 towers, 1 target piece, and 3 marbles
- Promotes critical thinking
- High quality components
Best Budget Pick: Klutz LEGO Chain Reactions Craft Kit
If you’re a household with a large LEGO collection already, then the Klutz LEGO Chain Reactions Craft Kit is the perfect budget STEM toy for you and your family. This set allows you to build 10 amazing machines with moving parts. Ask your daughter to create a machine to toss a wrapper in the trash, ring a bell, or simply leave her to her own devices and see what she invents!
This kit includes a detailed 80 page instruction manual, with clear ideas to get girls started on their creative journey, but it also leaves enough possibilities for her to explore open-ended creativity, and engineer her own designs.
This kit is designed to help girls explore scientific concepts such as the study of how energy works, and how it’s never destroyed or created but simply transformed from one form to another. The manual provides suggestions of how to fix common problems, brick substitutions, and explanations of the physics that help each machine to work.
Klutz LEGO Chain Reactions Craft Kit Key Features:
- 80 page instruction manual
- 33 LEGO pieces
- Recommended for ages 8 plus
- NAPPA Silver Award Winner
Best STEM Toy for Girls Aged 5 – 7: Botley the Coding Robot Activity Set
Coding has become a large part of STEM within the last few years, so if you’re keen to introduce your daughter, niece, or young family friend to coding as young as possible, then Botley the Coding Robot, by Learning Resources, is a great choice.
Botley teaches girls to code using screen-free play which promotes critical thinking and problem solving skills. The remote programmer is easy and intuitive to use, transmitting your commands and sets Botley off on course. His smart logic allows him to detect any objects in his path.
This set comes with 40 coding cards, 6 double-sided tiles, 27 obstacle building pieces, and a starter guide. Botley provides a fun and easy way for young girls to access coding, but will also continue to provide challenges and fun as they grow, with hidden features available, including the ability to code for an additional 40 steps.
Botley the Coding Robot Key Features:
- Screen-free coding: no phone or tablet required
- Ready to code straight out of the box
- Hidden features to unlock as your child grows
- Suitable for girls from 5 and up
Best STEM Toy for Girls Aged 8 – 13: Think Fun Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game
If you’re looking for the perfect STEM game to entertain girls aged 8 – 13, then the Think Fun Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game is a great choice. This logic game has won dozens of awards, including a MENSA Select Award, Oppenheim Platinum, and a nomination for Toy of the Year.
The game is based on a sliding blocks, with the aim being to get the red car to the exit. Cars and trucks that are blocking its path must be moved by sliding them out of the way until the path is clear. The game is set up using the diagram on the challenge card, and if necessary, solutions are printed on the reverse!
The Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game helps to develop critical skills, and through playing through the varying degrees of challenges, girls reasoning and planning skills are developed without them even realizing. The game comes with 40 challenge cards, ranging from beginner to expert.
Think Fun Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game Key Features:
- High quality construction
- Perfect for travel – comes with storage bag
- Suitable for single and multiple players
- Recommended for ages 8 and up
Who Should Buy STEM Toys and Games for Girls?
In short – any parent should definitely buy STEM toys and games, whatever gender your child. STEM toys and games are particularly important for parents of daughters to consider purchasing though. Many girls toys are still disappointingly stereotyped, and are not designed with the aim of allowing them to explore STEM concepts from a young age.
A parents, we have the opportunity to help our daughters interests and expectations, which can help allow them to confidently explore a wider range of education and career options as they grow up.
There is a definite gender gap within the STEM workforce. The reasons for this are complex, but there are huge opportunities to narrow this gap by ensuring girls have access to, and enjoy a range of STEM toys and games from a young age.
Important Features to Consider
STEM toys and games for girls should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting STEM toys and games for girls:
- Clear Instructions. If you’re looking for games and toys to help your daughter, niece or family friend explore STEM topics, but don’t have a large amount of confidence or knowledge of these topics yourself, look for games that include detailed instruction manuals. Many older girls will be able to use these themselves, but with younger children, you can use the manual as a handy guide to help you both get to grips with new concepts. Many science kits, for example, include guides to explain the chemical reactions, so you can explain these with confidence.
- Progressive levels of difficulty. It’s a good idea to select toys and games which offer progressive levels of difficulty. This way, once your child has mastered one level, they can move on to the next and still get enjoyment and education from their toy. Many STEM toys and games offer this feature, with some having hidden challenges which can be unlocked after a certain amount of time.
- Age guidelines. Some STEM toys and games include chemicals which aren’t suitable for younger children. Be sure to follow the guidelines for age recommendations, and check whether or not your child needs adult supervision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are STEM toys and games?
STEM toys and games are designed to help kids enjoy and explore the worlds of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. They encourage children to learn through play, often known as “stealth learning”.
Why is STEM important for girls?
Studies have shown that parents of children as young as 22 months unwittingly provide more number-specific language to sons, such as “how many fingers do you have?” than they do to daughters. This helps increase familiarity with numbers, which researchers suggest may well influence career choices in later life.
What age should a child be introduced to STEM toys?
There are STEM toys and games for almost every age range. Introducing girls to STEM toys at an early age is a great idea as it helps develop skills such as problem solving, and spatial awareness.000
Studies show that a child’s general knowledge at kindergarten is a strong predictor of their achievement in science from third to eighth grade. So it’s never too early to introduce your daughter to toys and games which are designed to encourage an early love for, and understanding of, STEM topics.
Do I need to know a lot about STEM to help my child play with STEM toys?
Not at all! A lot of STEM toys and games are designed to be intuitive to use, meaning you and your child will discover how to use them together. This mostly includes logic games and puzzles. Others, such as those which involve construction or engineering, include detailed instruction manuals to help your daughter work out the best way to build certain items.
Science kits which include experiments tend to contain explanations of each type of reaction, as well as the science behind these. This means you can use these to help explain concepts to your child as they carry out experiments, as well as possibly learn something new yourself at the same time!
Other STEM Toys and Games for Girls We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other STEM toys and games for girls. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best STEM toys and games for girls, they’re the best of the rest and each one is still a great option for your daughter. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 5 – 7
- STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 8 – 13
- STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 2 – 4
- Science Kits for Girls
STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 5 – 7
The unique 3D puzzle design of this STEM Toy certified set will keep your little girl entertained for hours.
- 112 piece set
- Includes storage bag
- Recommended for ages 4 and up
This great alternative to building blocks helps build spatial awareness and fine motor skills.
- 600 piece mega set
- BPA-free plastics
- Recommended for ages 3 and up
This construction set helps to flex mental muscles by promoting the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Includes beginner, intermediate, and advanced instructional ebooks
- Easy to clean with just warm water
- Perfect to use as social development with other children
This entry-level mini duo scope contains many of the features found on more complex microscopes, making it the perfect introduction to a lifetime of learning.
- Dual LED illumination
- Includes over 20 accessories
- Excellent image quality
Think Gizmos Take Apart Construction Toy
This kit includes an electric drill to put models together and take them apart again, helping to improve hand-eye coordination.
- Recommended for ages 6 and up
- 552 piece set
- 10 different models to make
STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 8 – 13
This kit provides hands-on experience designed and building electrical circuits.
- Snap-together parts – no tools required
- Requires 2 AA batteries (sold separately)
- More than 100 projects to build
Engino Discovering STEM: Levers, Linkages and Structures Building Kit
This comprehensive kit introduces complex concepts in an accessible and enjoyable way.
- Build 16 working models, including a seesaw, and movable weight scale
- Includes 14 page manual, and 4 page quiz
- App available with model illustrations
This highly compelling game develops creativity, and curiosity, while helping children learn geometry in a practical way.
- Excellent quality materials
- Recommended for ages 8 and up
- Award winning design
National Geographic Ultimate Construction Engineering Set
This set includes everything needed to build motorized models, including dinosaurs, trucks, spacecraft, and more!
- Includes 219 pieces
- Interactive app shows even more building options
- Simple snap-fit pieces make construction quick and easy
Think Fun Code Master Programming Logic Game
This fun game encourages planning, reasoning, and problem solving skills, at the same time as teaching complex coding concepts.
- Includes 60 multi-level challenges
- Clear instructions
- Offline approach to learning coding
STEM Toys and Games for Girls Aged 2 – 4
Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope
This chunky microscope encourages an early love of scientific investigation and discovery.
- Extra large eye-pieces
- Chunky, kid-friendly focusing knob
- 8x magnification and LED light
Kidwerk Dinosaur Construct and Play
This kit contains 3 dinosaurs which can be deconstructed and then re-assembled.
- Includes a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Alamosaurus, and a Triceratops
- Suitable for ages 3 and up
- Encourages fine motor skills, logic, and problem solving skills
Learning Resources Super Sorting Pie
This fun sorting pie includes 60 counters designed to help problem solving in children as young as 2.
- Teaches early number skills
- Helps fine motor skills
- Includes activity guide
This award winning game offers a tactile approach to understanding the decimal number system.
- Made from high quality, BPA-free plastic
- Includes manual with exercises and games
- Improves math skills through play
Skoolzy Color Sorting Butterfly Counting Toy
This Skoolzy toy uses bright colors and butterfly shapes to encourage sorting and counting activities in toddlers.
- Helps to introduce color recognition
- Interlocking color petals to allow easy sorting
- Includes a free Ebook with toddler learning activities
Science Kits for Girls
Includes everything needed to carry out 7 different crystal growth experiments.
- Includes display cases for crystals once they are fully grown
- Recommended for ages 10 and up
- Perfect for girls with an interest in geology
Creativity for Kids Grow ‘n Glow Terrarium
This kit allows your child to craft, plant, water and grow their own tabletop terrarium.
- Kit contains everything you need – just add water!
- Includes glow in the dark stickers to decorate
- Recommended for ages 6 and up
Learn & Climb Kids Science Set
This jumbo science kit contains over 60 mind-blowing experiments, including a slime lab, rocket balloon, and sprout garden.
- Includes a DVD with clear demonstrations
- 55 piece kit
- Suitable for children aged 5 and up
Scientific Explorer POOF-Slinky Magic Science Kit for Wizards Only
This kit allows kids to cast spells with their very own, custom made wizard wand.
- Teaches the science behind the maagic
- Includes 9 activities
- Recommended for children aged 6 annd up
Yellow Scope Foundation Chemistry Kit
This kit, designed by scientists who are also moms, includes 19 colorful and exciting experiments.
- Suitable for ages 8 – 12
- Includes a 28 page lab notebook
- Contains real lab equipment